Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory
The Court’s Purpose
- To maintain and promote the rule of law
- To provide leadership within the justice system
The Court achieves its purpose :
- By delivering impartial, high quality and timely decisions
- By resolving each case by the process most suited to achieving a just, quick and effective outcome
- By ensuring transparent, easy and cost-effective access to the Court for all
- By communicating openly, clearly and respectfully
- By being accountable for the use of public resources
- By developing and applying best practice
Judicial Priorities for 2018/2019
- To transition smoothly to the new Supreme Court building and to develop the best methods of integration into the new physical environment.
- To pilot criminal case conferencing.
- As far as practicable, to implement the National Standards for Working with Interpreters in Courts and Tribunals developed by the Judicial Council for Cultural Diversity.
- As part of implementing the International Framework for Court Excellence, to review key activities and projects against the Framework and undertake a user survey of the Court.
- To develop protocols for undertaking Court processes by electronic means and to pilot eTrial technologies.
- To review all the Court’s practice directions including the Court of Appeal Practice Direction.
- To review and continue implementing the Court’s Strategic Plan to Facilitate access to the Court for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in the ACT.
- Subject to Government funding, to finalise a proposal for a Drug and Alcohol Court and commence implementing the proposal.