ACT Supreme Court Strategic Statement
Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory
The Court’s Purpose
- To maintain and promote the rule of law
- To provide leadership within the justice system
The Court achieves its purpose:
- By delivering impartial, high quality and timely decisions
- By resolving each case by the process most suited to achieving a just, quick and effective outcome
- By ensuring transparent, easy and cost-effective access to the Court for all
- By communicating openly, clearly and respectfully
- By being accountable for the use of public resources
- By developing and applying best practice
Judicial Priorities for 2019/ 2020
- To transfer some Supreme Court activities into the Heritage Building and ensure the seamless integration of the new and old parts of the courthouse.
- To develop processes for the Drug and Alcohol List and commence operating the DAL.
- To review and refine the criminal case conferencing scheme.
- To develop a protocol for in court use of the ICMS system.
- To progress an electronic filing system for civil matters.
- As part of implementing the International Framework for Court Excellence, to review activities against the IFCE and to address findings from the 2019 user survey of the Court.
- To develop and implement arrangements for eTrial technologies.
- To develop and implement guidelines and/or rules for interpreter use that are consistent with the recommendations of the Judicial Council for Cultural Diversity.
- In partnership with the Magistrates Court, to pursue initiatives to facilitate access to the courts for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in the ACT.
- To develop a history wall enabling court users to understand the history of the Court.
- To investigate and pursue opportunities for community engagement.