Legal Advice

Frequently people indicate that all they want is information or the answer to a question. The information or answer, however, often amounts to legal advice and officers of the Court may not give legal advice.

If you are told by Court staff that a particular question cannot be answered and that you need legal advice then you should consult a solicitor in private practice or contact Legal Aid ACT.

The Court recognizes the right of people to act for themselves. Acting for yourself means, however, that you take upon yourself the same responsibility as would a solicitor acting for you.

Court officers cannot prepare your documents for you or ensure that you do not do anything which is contrary to your own interests.

The counter officer's job is to check documents filed to ensure that they satisfy the rules as to their setting out.

Counter staff and other Court officers cannot advise you what you should do, the appropriateness of an application or what you ought to say in your documents. Those are matters on which you should seek advice from a solicitor.

If, after talking to Court officers, you are still unsure as to what you should do next then it may be worthwhile contacting the following organisations for advice.